I want these boxing tips to be genuinely helpful. This tip is a real coaching tool that I use to fix one of the most common faults with a boxer’s jab; the flaring elbow.
If you want your jab to be effective, that is to be accurate, powerful, fast and reliable in terms of success rate then you must take time to ensure excellence of execution.
In my experience the flaring elbow is one of the if not the most common faults with the jab.
Watch the video then below is a bit more to read:
So what is the flaring elbow when using the jab?
It’s quite simple really.
When a jab is executed correctly the elbow follows the line of the fist towards the target.
In the case of the ‘flaring elbow’, as the jab is initiated the elbow lifts laterally as the fist is moving toward the target. This is bad for 2 main reasons:
- The opponent will find it much easier to spot the punch coming. The human eye is excellent at seeing lateral movement, less excellent at spotting movement towards and away. If they see the punch coming it will be blocked and you will get punched in the mouth!
- The integrity of the punch is lost, reducing power and efficiency.
Boxing Tips – The Solution
So some practical steps to use this most practical of boxing tips:
- Find a wall that will be to your lead hand side.
- With your front foot at 45 degrees and in your boxing stance, begin the process of throwing your jab.
- If your arm DOES NOT hit the wall your are not flaring your elbow.
- If your arm DOES hit the wall, you are flaring your elbow…so stop it!
This is a really helpful boxing tip. Be sure to revisit this every now and again to keep checking that bad habits are not creeping in to your boxing style.
95% of what the great boxers do are the basics, they just do them exceptionally well.
The boxing jab is the ultimate in basics so please do everything you can to make it excellent.
Any questions, observations and challenges then please leave them below.